What is cybersecurity?
Cybersecurity, also known as computer security or information technology security is the practice of protecting computers, servers, mobile devices, electronic systems, networks, and data from malicious attacks. In simple words, cybersecurity focuses on protecting computer systems from unauthorized access or being damaged or made inaccessible. It also helps to protect organizations and individuals from cyber attacks, thefts, and other types of cybercrimes. Let us learn why is cyber security very important nowadays.
Why is cybersecurity important?
The importance of cybersecurity is increasing day by day. In today’s world, cybersecurity is not only important because it helps to secure your information but also protects our system from virus attacks. It is an important protective and valuable measure against cyber criminals and malicious threats. It can automatically detect, quarantine, and remove types of malware and protect us from threats and cyber attacks like phishing, ransomware attacks, Man-in-the-Middle (MitM), SQL injection, etc.
Automatic virus updates should always be enabled to ensure maximum protection against the latest threats. Always keep software up to date for the latest updates. It has been said that data is now more valuable and important than ever as it is very easy for cybercriminals to hack your data and information once they collect all the information. So, cybersecurity for all connected devices is very important for the security of your personal and important data. It is very important for organizations to have strong, protective cybersecurity measures to protect their information, data, and customers too.
There are many benefits of cybersecurity. But before telling you the benefits of cybersecurity, let me tell you the points you should always remember in cybersecurity.
10 Points you should always remember:-
1) Keep your software up to date
2) Use anti-virus protection and a firewall
3) Use strong passwords and use a password management tool
4) Use two-factor or multi-factor authentication
5) Learn about Phishing scams; be very suspicious of emails, phone calls and flyers.
6) Protect your sensitive Personal Identifiable Information (PII)
7) Use your mobile devices securely.
8) Backup your data regularly
9) Don’t use public Wi-Fi; always use VPNs (Virtual Private Networks); if you don’t have VPN, use your cell network.
10) Review your online accounts and credit reports regularly for changes.
Benefits of Cybersecurity:-
1) Protect networks and data from unauthorized access.
2) Improved information security and business continuity management.
3) Improved stakeholder confidence in your information security arrangements.
4) Improved company credentials with the correct security controls in place.
5) Faster recovery times in a breach.
6) It helps to reduce computer crashes.
In today’s world where all networks and computers are connected to the internet. Keeping data safe is of utmost importance. As internet technology is ever evolving and growing so are the tech-savvy hackers, so cybersecurity is of utmost importance.